I remembered the first day that I found out I am pregnant, I am so happy beyond word that I cried. Like I cant believe that it is really happening. I am very grateful to my creator. I never imagine, that I could be that happy and blessed to felt that kind of happiness.
Like many other women, we are always curious and want the best for our baby. So, I went online to do lots of research and talk to friends who have more experience. I also talk to my mum, my mum in laws and my granma and aunties to absorb as many input and info as I could. When I was doing my research, I found that some of the info it like bit by bits and scattered all around. Then it triggers to my mind. What if I help to compile it and post it in my blog. In this way, many other ladies would be able to reach to it as well.
Please do bear in mind, I am not an expert in pregnancy or giving birth but I am more than happy to share with you all the info I’ve got in the most simplest way.
What to Do
· Download Baby Center Apps into your phone or tablet – it provide good info and you able to track your baby growth. (One of the first thing I did after suggested by my dear friend Angela)
· Make appointment with doctor for ultra sound. You can opt for any clinic or hospital, ultra sound is just a monthly check up to check on your baby health and growth. (in my case every two week since I have miscarriage before so need close monitoring)
· Wear a comfortable shoe, the main reason is that to reduce tiredness of wearing heels and to ensure that you don’t fall.
· Plan when to announce your pregnancy. Some says, it is better to wait atleast on second trimester (after 3 month) before sharing the word. Still it is up to you. I saw lots of funky way on how to announce your pregnancy. My was just simple, whatsapp and call to my close family members and friends.
· Sleep early, growing a baby in your tummy is a hard work. You need all the rest you can get. Some sites also encourage mummy to get a power nap during day time.
· Pamper yourself, it is going to long and tiring journey as a pregnant lady. Go book a pedicure session (not like you can reach your feet anymore) or maybe ask your husband to do it for you. Book a maternity massage session from midwife or “mak bidan”.
What not to do
· Stay up late. Some people could take it but it is greatly encourage for mothers to get enough rest.
· Ride or motorbike especially on early stages of pregnancy (if you don’t have option try to drive it slow and avoid bumpy road). The movement, possibility of falling, the bumpy road might affect your pregnancy in a way that since your featus just attached itself to your uterus walls, there is a possibility of it to fall if you have vigorous movement.
· Avoid riding on roller coaster or those “extreme” theme park games.
· Some airlines don't accept pregnant women at already 7 months. Since after 7 months there are possibilities of you giving birth at any time so to avoid complications try not to travel via plane after 7 months of pregnancy. ( I personally try to avoid long distance travelling during my pregnancy, I just felt that I need to be close to my appointed doc just incase).
· Wait till atleast 5 month pregnancy before you purchase any baby items (till the baby super stable), as after 16 weeks you may know the gender and it is easier to purchase items when you know your baby gender.
Food to take
· Healthy food, try your best not to opt for processed food.
· Eat more veggies, fish ( contain lots of protein and omega good for baby’s brain development, however there are certain types of fish to avoid I’ll share more below) and fruits for vitamins.
· Eat folic acid tablet for baby growth
· If you like to eat bread, Eat wholemeal instead of processed (white) varieties when you can.
· Choose lean meat, remove the skin from poultry, and cook it using only a little fat.
· wash fruit, vegetables and salads to remove all traces of soil, which may contain toxoplasma, a parasite that can cause toxoplasmosis (toxoplasmosis can harm your unborn baby).
Food to avoid
· I don’t know about you but, I cant take potatoes when I am pregnant. I produces lots of gas.
· soft blue-veined cheeses, such as Danish blue, gorgonzola and Roquefort. Cheeses like this are made with mould and can contain listeria bacteria that cause listeriosis. Although an infection with listeria is rare, even a mild form of this infection in a pregnant woman can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth or severe illness in a newborn baby.
· Avoid raw or undercooked eggs and any foods that contain them, such as homemade mayonnaise.
· Make sure that eggs are thoroughly cooked until the whites and yolks are solid. This prevents the risk of salmonella food poisoning.
· Do not eat raw or undercooked meat.
· Cook all meat and poultry thoroughly so there’s no trace of pink or blood. Take particular care with sausages and minced meat.
· Some countries advise pregnant women not to eat cold meats (for example, salami, chorizo and parma ham) or smoked fish because of the risk that the food may contain listeria bacteria. In the UK, pregnant women are not advised to avoid these foods because the risk of infection is so low. However, if you’re concerned, you may choose to avoid them.
· Avoid liver or liver products, such as liver pâté or liver sausage, as they may contain a lot of vitamin A. Too much vitamin A can harm your baby.
· Try not to eat Tuna, as they might contain mercury.
· You should limit caffeine during pregnancy - avoid having more than 200mg of caffeine a day. High levels of caffeine can cause babies to have a low birth weight. Too much caffeine can also cause a miscarriage. Caffeine is found naturally in some foods and is added to some soft drinks. As for me, I decided not to take caffeine at all. No coffee and no tea and yes.. even green tea contain caffeine.
· I also heard from lots of people to avoid spicy food as it might cause heart burn and indigestion, the problem is I have no appetite if my food is not spicy. (Thanks to my Asian tongue) I am grateful that I do not have heartburn issue.
I hope you find this post helpful and may all the mama out there have a safe and pleasant pregnancy experience. I will try to update from time to time if I found any useful tips to be share and to end this post, I just like to share my baby scan picture’s and the pictures of my scrap book + pregnancy journal.