How to Patent Your Invention? | MyIPO |
Assalamualaikum and Olla everyone!
If you would like to pretect your invention, then this write up is for you. I have talked earlier about MyIPO and share some history about the organisation. You can check out the write up here. There any many ways on protecting your intellectual property such as Patent, Trademark, Industrial Design, Geographical Indication, Copyright and also IC Layout Designs. In this write up, I would like to focus more on Patent.
Before we go little bit deeper, let’s understand what is the defination of Patent. “A patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a product or a process that provides a new way of doing something, or offers a new technical solution to a problem.” – MyIPO
Then what is Patentable Invention?
- New, which means that the invention has not been publicly disclosed in any form, anywhere in the world;
- Involve an inventive step, that is to say the invention must not be obvious to someone with knowledge and experience in the technological field of the invention; and
- Industrially applicable, meaning it can be mass produced.
For example you figured out and invented a product that makes the process of maing donut faster and more efficient. Like this one, this one which is patented in US and the inventor is Christopher J. Hennessy. Link to Patent details : here
It could be anything, you might be suprised that even the toilet paper roll that were used everywhere nowadays were an invention, it was was actually patented in 1891 and the inventor is Setii Wheeler. I could also be a method to do labeling, it really can be anything. Human Creativity is the ultimate economic resource, said Richard Florida and Ireally agreed on that.
However, not all invention can be patent or eligible for patent. There are also non-patentable inventions as per below :
- Discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods;
- Plant or animal varieties or essentially biological processes for the production of plants or animals, other than man-made living micro- organisms, micro-biological processes and the products of such micro-organism processes;
- Schemes, rules or methods for doing business, performing purely mental acts or playing games;
- Methods for the treatment of human or animal body by surgery or therapy, and diagnostic methods practiced on the human or animal body
For example you found a method to extract a by-produce of a plant. In this case, that can’t be patented. Another example would be if you found a way to help blindness. Any methods to treat human or animal regardless by surgery or therapy does not qualify to be patent.
So, what is the the big deal? Why is so important to get your invention patent with MyIPO? By doing so you will be able to have ownership over your invention legally. This will discourage exploitation, you will also get to assign or transmit the patent to another party. This also helps to conclude a license contracts in the future. Expecially, if you are going to build a business over your invention.
How long is the duration of a Patent? Current rulling state that a patent is protected 20 years from the date of filing. You can always renew when the time is up. You can opt to apply manually or even online for a patent. There are discount onthe fees if you opt to do it online instead of manual. For the full list of the price structure you can check it out here
Then who can apply for a Patent? Any person may make an application for a patent or for a utility innovation either alone or jointly with another person. The word “person” is not limited to natural persons and thus also includes, for example, a company.
We are the end this post. I hope you find it helpful somehow. Happy inventing!! For more details, you may check out :-
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/ipmalaysia/
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/myipo/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/myipo/
Main #MyIPO #MyIPO15 #TradeMark #Copyright #Patent #GeographicalIndications #IntellectualProperty #IP #HartaIntelek #HakCipta #myipoctss Other #enterprenuers #usahawan #blogger #influencers #branding #ownbrand #penjenamaan #jenamasendiri #produksendiri #hasilsendiri #rekaciptasendiri #sesiapasahaja